I had based my Bee blocks on this wonky rectangles tutorial by Tallgrass Prairie Studio:
I wanted my fellow Bee members to have the freedom to do whichever sized rounds in whatever order so sent out the same amount of each fabric, which would mean they had plenty left over. I also said they could keep the fabric or if they chose to make strips or improv blocks which I would then incorporate into a quilt for Siblings Together.
I had received most of my Bee blocks back (more of which when I've sewn them together) along with a number of strips / improv blocks from my fellow Bee-ers. I had also taken the same fabric to FQR to use it up and so had some blocks from my classes. Thus armed, I rallied my newly revitalised Sewjo and we embarked without a compass on our improv quilt top.
I had some Portholes from my class with Lucie Summers:
And some leftover hexies from Tacha's paper piecing class at last year's FQR:
Plus one lonely orphan block from my Apple Crisp quilt - I had made 64 blocks but only needed 63:
Put them together and what do you get?
Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo!
I found putting this quilt together quite liberating because I really had no idea what it was going to turn into. Having seen the wonderful array of Siblings Together quilts at the Retreat, I needed no further motivation to get this pieced so that I have time to quilt it (eeek!) in plenty of time for next year's call for quilts.
And also this plus my Bee quilt should use up the last of my blasted Rouenneries fabric that I bought too much of when I was terrified of running out of it for my Apple Crisp quilt. Being a pedantic self-disciplinarian (not that you'd know from my messy house and numerous bars of Dairy Milk), I have it in my head that I am duty-bound to use my fabric on a FIFO basis. I have already agonised over this in this post and even though I know my Curly Watts approach is not logical, I can't help myself.
So hurrah for breaking out some new fabric and maybe even breaking my own rule and going straight for those lovely Oakshotts ......